Clayton Stefansen posted an update 1 month ago
Your floors need special protection when undergoing remodeling, during new construction, moving heavy furniture or equipment, as well as other events beyond day-to-day use. Protecting flooring is sensible and saves money. A spill of paint, the drop of a hammer, a scratch from heavy furniture may cost thousands of dollars in replacement and repair costs. This post describes surface protection products for floors to be able to make informed alternatives on the most effective product to use for the needs you have.
Different types of Protection Packaging:
Floor protection goods are commonly packaged as either:
(1) Products by the roll: These include common adhesive films, rolled paper products and rolled textile protection. Protective materials purchased with the roll are normally measured thick by mils (e.g., 2.5 mils thick up to 48 mils thick).
(2) Products from the sheet: These include corrugated plastic, masonite, and other rigid protection. Protective materials purchased with the sheet are generally measured thick through the inch (e.g., 1/4-inch thick) and normally be 4 feet by 8 feet.
Kind of Flooring Protection:
Paper protection is suitable for all those hard surfaces and resilient surfaces but can not work well to shield carpets as it can tear when flexing under footsteps. Paper goods are breathable to ensure glue fumes and cement curing vapors can escape. One disadvantage in paper products as they require tapes to secure them to flooring and tapes can frequently leave adhesive residue when removed. Common paper protection products include:
· Ramboard A coated compressed paper board 38 mils thick which is breathable, water repellent making from recycled paper.
· Kraft paper is a lightweight brown paper that’s inexpensive but won’t afford any impact protection which enable it to easily tear
· Scrim paper may incorporate coatings or reinforcements to ensure they are water-resistant as well as scrim threads to boost the paper and stop tearing. These improved papers are are more durable than regular Kraft paper or rosin paper but you’re also too thin to supply much impact protection.
· Rosin paper is thicker than Kraft paper which is minimal cost. Rosin paper is recycled, felt paper that ranges from 9.0 to 11.5 mils thick. The large disadvantage of using Rosin paper would it be might cause an enduring stain if the paper gets wet. Rosin paper can also rip easily so it not normally appropriate for use
· Corrugated cardboard rolls or sheets may also be used to safeguard flooring. Corrugate provides impact protection however it is not coated using a waterproof finish and really should be kept dry all the time then it will not disintegrate. Cardboard products are also available as single-, double-, and triple-walled corrugated cardboard sheets or like a fan-folded stack.
Polyethylene (PE) films can be bought as self adhesive rolled films varying from 2.0 around 3.5 mils in thickness. They trap any moisture from escaping in order that they shouldn’t be used on any floors which are curing. Two of the great benefits of polyethylene films are that films will flex and contour so they can provide on carpets and also hard surfaces. These films don’t offer any impact protection and they are normally rated for short term use of 30 to 90 days only. Polyethylene films focus on one-time use and never use recycled materials which makes them an undesirable choice in sustainable protection. Protection films are available in a number of adhesion “tack”. Hard surface protection films will have a lower tack and color than carpet protection which needs a more aggressive glue to carry onto carpet fibers successfully.
Wood Items are commonly used as protection on commercial projects with a lot of traffic generating from wood fibers or actual sheets of thin wood. Wood Merchandise is bought from the common sized 4 feet by 8 feet and so are more expensive per square feet than paper or polyethylene products. Wood Products provide impact protection on a various floor types and supply adequate protection against heavy equipment use or furniture moving. Wood Products are breathable and reusable however are bulky to carry and store. These wood sheets must be used on top of a softer protection such as a rolled textile because they easily scratch flooring. These sheets are very effective to shield carpet because they prevent wrinkles when rolling heavy loads on the carpet. Wood Products do not offer moisture protection and could be harder to cut to size than other protection types.
Textile products are commonly made of recycled cloth. Furthermore, these rolled protection products will have advantages such as skid resistant backings or breathable plastic liners. For wooden flooring, these specialty textile rolls are recommended because they are breathable, skid resistant, reusable, often leakproof and easy to cut to size.
Using the Surface Protection
In order to obtain the full benefits of using surface protection, proper application is important. The floors needs to be clean (vacuumed or swept) prior to covering with the protection products. The proper range of protection needs to be made in order that moisture is not trapped on floors which are still curing. Trapping moisture may cause the full product failure and will invalidate a wood floor manufacturer’s warranty. For heavy traffic or loads, several protection layers are usually necessary.
To sum up, there are several choices in temporary floor protection on the market. When scouting for a protection product, it is prudent to take into consideration the price, duration needed, breathability and possible ways to reuse the product. Successful floor protection also may include proper installation and preparation from the floor. Always stick to the manufacturer’s recommendation for usage and so the prospect of adhesive transfer is avoided. Protecting valuable floors is a wise purchase of time and money. Surface protection experts can also be found that may help you pick the right floor protection to your requirements.
To get more information about Temporary Floor Protection you can check this useful website