By Dennis Pierce
Community colleges have made great strides in advancing student success and completion during the last decade. But not all students have benefited from these efforts equally. To identify equity gaps and support all students having an equal chance at success, AACC has launched a new national initiative called “Unfinished Business.” This Community College Journal article reveals more about the initiative and highlights promising practices already occurring on campuses. Read the article now.
Premise and Promise Designing New Academic Pathways Reimagining the Student Experience
By Kay McClenney, Donna Dare, and Susan Thomason
This three-part series first appeared as separate articles in successive issues of Community College Journal. Together, the articles describe a new model for academic pathways, key design principles, examples from colleges leading the way, and implementation challenges. The series is reprinted with permission from the American Association of Community Colleges. Click on the image to view the three-part series.
DataPoints are snapshots of timely and important topics related to higher education broadly and community colleges specifically.
- DataPoints: Outcomes for Asian students (05/14/2019)
- DataPoints: Revenue source (04/29/2019)
- DataPoints: Finishing with little debt (04/24/2019)
- DataPoints: Challenges to success (03/27/2019)
- DataPoints: Going back to school (03/13/2019)
- DataPoints: Plans after high school (02/27/2019)
- DataPoints: Why students don’t submit a FAFSA (02/13/2019)
- DataPoints: Working while enrolled (01/28/2019)
- DataPoints: Staying and completing (01/23/2019)
- DataPoint: Still a great deal (12/12/2018)
- DataPoints: Where military personnel tend to go (11/29/2018)
- DataPoints: Summer Pell success (11/13/2018)
Research and Project Briefs
Community College Contributions
|Transfer: An Indispensable Part of the Community College Mission
|It’s a Matter of Time: Low-Income Students and Community Colleges
Federal Student Financial Aid Helps Community College Students Pay for Their Education (April 2014) This report examines the latest data from the 2011-2012 National Postsecondary Student Aid Study (NPSAS:12) of the U.S. Department of Education to show the characteristics of community college students, the price of their education, the various sources of financial aid, of which federal financial aid is paramount, to pay for their education, and information about loan defaults.
- Download the report [PDF]
Recent National Community College Enrollment and Award Completion Data (January 2014) This report examines the trends behind the decrease in national community college enrollments using the latest data released by the U.S. Department of Education’s (ED) and the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC).
- Download the report [PDF]
Additional reports can be found on the Reports and White Papers page of the AACC website.